A brief outline of the contribution that Pundit Roshan Singh has made for the betterment of our community.
Given the enormous breadth of information obtainable, the sophistication of Jyotish techniques, the sometimes indeterminate results of horoscopic analysis and the subtleties of horoscopic interpretation, it is unlikely that most Ayurvedic practitioners will undertake the superlatively rigorous steps needed to become full-time professional Vedic astrologers.
Pundit Roshan Singh on the other hand is indeed a very rare soul living in South Africa who has excelled in dedicating his life to acquiring the knowledge in all three of these Vedic Sciences namely Jyotish Astrology, Vaastu Shastra and Ayurveda and develop the skills to take people out of the dark zones of their lives and empower them to lead better and happier lives.
It is critically important that the practitioner of Astrology and Ayurveda have a knowledge of this ancient and ennobled science, as well as its closely allied sister science of Numerology – sufficient to utilize its many facets to the maximum benefit of his patients. The following is a brief profile of the depth of knowledge and profound qualifications that Pundit Roshan Singh has which enables him to use all of this for the betterment of whomever interacts with him.
Qualifications & Contribution to Society
- Jyotishacharya Shastri Pundit – All India Federation of Astrologers Societies of India.
- Devagya Maharishi – Gold Medalist – Akhilbharatiya Jyotish Manch of India
- Ayurvedacharya – American Institute of Vedic Studies (Dr David Frawley)
- Ayurvedic Medical Practitioner – EPASA South Africa
- Bhakti Shastri – Completed his Shastri Degree – Pure Bhakti
- Initiation : Initiated by His Holiness Krishna das Swami Maharaj of Iskcon
- Meeting with great personalities : Personally met His Divine Grace A C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada and His Divine Grace Bhaktivedanta Narayana Swami Maharaj
- Qualified as a Hindu Pundit – Well versed in the Vedic Scriptures and able to conduct all the sixteen sanskaars and present discourses on various religious topics.
- Sanskrit & Hindi – Completed his degree majoring in Hindi and Sanskrit in Hindi and Sanskrit at the University of Durban Westville
- Marriage Officer – First Hindu Pundit in South Africa to be appointed as a Marriage Officer
- Author of : How to name your child correctly,
The Sixteen sanskaars in the life of a Hindu,
Vivah a journey of a Lifetime,
Health in your hands.
- Website – profound articles on fasts, feasts and festivals
- Actor – Featured as a Pundit in the T V soapie Isidingo
- Registrar of Births Marriages and deaths – Served in this capacity in the Department of Indian Affairs.
- Justice of the Peace – Appointed as a Justice of Peace in the Magistrates court of South Africa
- Punditji served on the Local Affairs committee as a city counsellor and during his time the Truro Hall, Truro Sporting Facilities, Raisethorpe CBD development, Copesville Housing, Tree planting on most main roads in Northdale, opening up driveways so that cars could enter the closed up circles and squares in lower Northdale.
- He was able to convince Mr Bikki Sathgar to donate a piece of land that belonged to the Vedh Dharam Sabha to Iskcon on which the temple now stands.
- Punditji is one of the only surviving founding members of the Pietermaritzburg Sanathan Ved Dharam Sabha who accompanied the Late Mr B B Maharaj on foot to the home of Mr J Kanhai who volunteered to build the temple. At that stage a make do galvernised tin structure was used to conduct sathsangs,
Mr Kanhai was responsible for paying for and bringing the deity of the Lord to this country. Pundit Roshan conducted the praan pratista pooja for ”Gopala” as the deity was named by him on that day. He conducted the first public Sathyanarayan Vrat Katha and Jhunda at the temple. He remained as the Secretary of the Sabha for many years until his move out of the city. During his time as a member of the society many sanyasis and swami’s visited and delivered discourses at the temple.
The temple was blessed when His Divine Grace A C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada the founder acharya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness set his holy feet in the temple.
- Through great effort he singularly was able to obtain a site on the river bank in Newholmes to build a ghaat for Hindus to submerge the ash of the departed and conduct their various shraad ceremonies.
The land was donated to our community by the Pietermaritzburg City Council after much hard work on the part of Punditji. The prayer place and hawan kund was build, the area was fenced with palicade fencing and trees where planted around the site..
He continues to serve the community in the capacity as a Jyotish Astrologer and bring new light and vision to lives of people in need on a daily basis.